Monday 18 January 2016

DELICIOUS BROWNIE RECIPE

BROWNIES! Who does not like them? I know I do. I love them.


Hubby? Well, if you had offered him one an year ago he would've politely taken a bite, mumble something about how nice it was and then given me the rest when no one was looking. Then he quit smoking and his taste buds started to work properly again. He discovered he likes a)vegetarian food and b) chocolate. All of a sudden I had to share my chocolate guilty pleasures with him! I.had.to.share.my.MY.chocolate! I guess it was a tiny sacrifice on my part considering he gave up smoking:) So in all honesty I don't really mind sharing my chocolate. But back to why he now likes brownies. As he tells me, one of his colleagues brings brownies in the office quite often and he never liked/fancied them. A few months ago that colleague kept pestering him about having a bite so out of politeness (he is very Very VERY polite)he took one and finished it. And took another one, and another one. He was 'in heaven' apparently because they were 'soooo chocolaty and nice'. 
He has been doing a lot of little projects around the house over the last week so I thought it will be nice to make him something special. The brownie recipe did not disappoint. In fact it was a real success. My daughter had a bite and giggled! She turned to me and said: 'Mummy, thank you for cooking dinner and making these delicious thingies.' (For the record, dinner was salmon with veg and homemade baked chips). The 'thingies' were a Saturday night treat for us and probably the best brownies I have tasted in a while. Honestly, give them  a go. They are so easy to make, even a child can do it. I have promised Annabel to help her make some more soon. She is only 4 and already wants to bake! My heart melts....

Here is the recipe (makes about 18 squares)

225gr melted butter
400gr sugar (I used granulated sugar and it worked great)
4 eggs
60gr cacao powder
1/2 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
225gr plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180C. Mix the butter, sugar, cacao powder and eggs until well incorporated. Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Grease a 25x35 cm (or similar size) baking tray. Pour in the mixture and flatten lightly with a spatula. Bake for around 20 minutes for set brownies. If you want them more gooey, bake for about 18 minutes. Let your tin cool completely before taking out and cutting into squares (if you can wait that long).




For a recipe with a twist add some nuts of your choice in the mix after the flour has been added. If you a true chocoholic sprinkle some chocolate chips/chunks on top just before the tray goes in the oven. This is a recipe that took just over 5 minutes to put together. So you can always surprise your loved ones with a little treat in under 30 minutes. How good is that?!

XoXo
Desi in the Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment