Thursday 10 December 2015

COOKIE DOUGH POTS

Things have been a bit quiet in Desi in the Kitchen the last few days. I have been on Twitter only once if I recall correctly and haven't posted anything since Friday. I have been 'offline' because I needed a break. I needed to have a day to myself
to recuperate from the busy weekend I had. When my son started school three years ago I got involved with the Parents Teacher Association (PTA) in his school. The following year me and another mum volunteered to chair it together. It has been hard work. Rewarding, but hard. At times we have been so incredibly busy that I have been wondering if it is all worth it. Yes, it is. I may moan about it at times but at the end of the day someone has to organise all the lovely events we hold throughout the year which raise funds for various school projects. The latest project in our school is a new library. You will be surprised how expensive school library furniture is! Last Saturday we held our annual Christmas Fair and the money we raised exceeded everyone's expectations! It was a very busy week - we were there on Friday till 7 pm and on Saturday from 9 am till about 6pm (The fair was between 1 and 3 pm). Up until Saturday afternoon I wasn't feeling the Christmas spirit. Yes, we decorated the tree at home on 29th November. Yes, I have been using my Christmas candles daily to help me get in the festive mood. I have also been eating loads of mince pies. Bought ones I admit (feeling quite ashamed really) but I simply haven't had the time to make any. Halfway through the fair I looked around and joy on the children's faces finally did it for me. They were so happy playing games, eating sweets they had won, buying books or getting their faces painted. It was a great atmosphere in the school, loads of festive music, mince pies and mulled wine were served and loads of great prizes were won! It was a day to remember. To protect the privacy of the children I will not be posting pictures of the event.
Because I have been so busy with this event my kids survived on cheese on toast and pizza for tea for three days straight. I felt quite guilty but what is a mum to do?!Yesterday my daughter had her nativity production and was a beautiful angel.
Hubby took the day off so he could see her. She sang beautifully and danced her routine very well. We were so proud of her and as a treat for a day gone well (me and him went shopping for Christmas presents and sorted quite a few out) I decided to treat us to a special desert.
You know I love Nigella Lawson's recipes. She is the chef who inspired me start baking regularly again. Her Apricot Almond Cake with Rosewater and Cardamom is my most popular post to date. She has the ability to make everything look so easy and simple. Last week on her show she made these incredibly looking cookie dough pots. During the Black Friday sales I bought new ramekins

so I saw this recipe as the perfect way of trying them out! They are so cute, aren't they? I simply had to have them as soon as I spotted them in one of my favourite shops! 4 different shades of pink, good size and good quality, I couldn't be happier. They were reduced too;)

Chocolate chip cookie dough pots may sound complicated and tricky but it was just as Nigella said, quite easy and simple to do. My kids love chocolate chip cookies. They also love ice cream so a desert combining both sounded like the best idea ever. You can find the recipe from Nigella's website here. It only took minutes to put together:

 The recipe surprised me - I didn't have to butter the ramekins and the pots were ready in about 13 minutes. The kids couldn't wait to dig in!

It was gooey, chocolatey, melting in the mouth, the scoop of ice cream melting in the middle... So lush, so fancy, so incredibly tasty....My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Nigella recommends you wait about 10 minutes before eating them but I think I managed to keep the kids off them for no more than 5, they were so excited. To be honest I think this desert is a bit too rich for a 6 and a 4 year old. Marcus had 2 tiny bites before declaring it was too sweet. Annabel had half of hers and daddy was extremely happy he got to eat their leftovers! I promised the kids I will make it again for them by tweaking the recipe a bit. I think if I reduce the amount of sugar, put less chocolate chips in and bake it a bit longer they will really like it. I will update you accordingly when I try it out.
Will I make these pots again? YES. I WILL. I thought they were divine. Another Nigella recipe which is a definite keeper.

Will you try making them?

XoXo
Desi in the Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment