Thursday 19 November 2015

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME - PAVLOVA TO SAY 'THANK YOU' TO HUBBY

Dear all,
I have recently turned 35. I know, I am officially old! Or so my kids tell me ;)

I had one of the best birthday surprises ever, thanks to my gorgeous husband. For the last year I have been talking about getting a free standing mixer. I only had a hand-held one and having had it for about 10 years it had begun to make noises and the whisk had stopped working. However, somehow I could not justify spending around £400 on a Kitchen Aid or K Mix (the only two that I was considering at the time). After doing loads of research I've decided that the K Mix was the better one for me and my family situation. Yet somehow I could not bring myself to ask hubby to get me one. The cost seemed too high.
On the morning of my birthday
the kids gave me a beautifully wrapped box and a card. This was the face cream I had asked for (more about it over the next few days). Whilst I was getting ready my oldest kept rushing me to get downstairs as there was another surprise waiting for me. And there is was - a big wrapped up box on top of my kitchen table!

 

 I couldn't believe my eyes. It was exactly what I wanted - a beautiful K Mix in almond cream colour with a creamer attachment too!

Oh, the joy! I couldn't wait to start using it and couple of days later I had the perfect opportunity. I made a quiche Lorraine the night before and because I like it extra rich I tend to add extra egg yolks to the mix. So I had some egg whites in my fridge which were just waiting to be utilised. One of my husband's favourite desserts is Pavlova so as a thank you to him for my perfect present I opted to make him one. I have made little meringues in the past but never a pavlova.
I was amazed at how easy the K Mix was to operate. Whilst the egg whites were whisking I was completely mesmerized. I was staring at the mixer, wondering what to do with my hands. Both were free. Both of them. I could do other things - having a sip of my coffee, some washing up, weighing the sugar for the next stage of the pavlova.... I have had some shoulder problems for a while now and not having to hold and control a mixer was such a relief. I couldn't put my head around the fact that I had refused to get one for such a long time. What was I thinking?! It is definitely worth every penny. The K Mix made the glossiest meringue I have ever seen in my life.

The end result was a lovely, crispy outside with a soft, squiggy middle. Pure temptation for someone like me who avoids eating sugar altogether. My husband loved it, my friends loved it, my kids loved it! What a result!



Here is my recipe: 3 egg whites
175 gr caster sugar
pinch of salt
1 tsp cornflour
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp vinegar (I used white wine vinegar)
300ml double or whipping cream
fresh raspberries to decorate (which I did not have)
175gr frozen raspberries
1tbsp sugar

Method: All great chefs always tell you to preheat your oven before you even start mixing so please preheat your oven to 130C. Line a baking sheet with grease proof paper/baking parchment/siliconised baking liner. I used baking parchment and marked out a 20cm (8in) circle. Using the whisk attachment beat the egg whites until stiff on medium to high speed for about 5 minutes. Add about a quarter of the sugar and beat for around 2 minutes. Continue until all sugar has been used. Add the vanilla essence, cornflour and vinegar with a metal spoon and mix until well blended. Spoon onto the paper and try to create a swirly effect if you can. Bake for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave it inside to cool completely. In the meantime beat the cream until just stiff. To make the coulis place around the frozen raspberries and 1 tbsp sugar in a milk pan and let it simmer for about 5-10 minites, stirring occasionally. To assemble: put the pavlova on a plate, spoon over the cream. Decorate with the berries, cut and serve. If using coulis, pour some over the pavlova when serving.



Hope you enjoy it.
XoXo Desi in the Kitchen


All words and opinions are honest and my own. T

No comments:

Post a Comment